Thursday, September 25, 2008

October 08 Hyogo Times Cover, step1

I do not know what the problem is, but I cannot get Potato Boy to upload.  Guess you'll have to wait till Christmas morning, kids.  In the meantime, you'll just have to make do with a bunch'a old Hollywood Monsters having an awkward moment with a bunch'a Japanese monsters:


This is my step 1 sketch for the Hyogo Times October Cover.  The center "o" in "Hyogo Times" will be the moon, and I see a dark blue bg with a dark/black tangle of tree branches across it and the o/moon, but the HYGO TIMES on top of those branches.  This is one of those images that kinda just made itself after the kernel of the initial idea came up while talking to my Granny Dot on the morning of my day off.  Actually, not many images fit that specific description, but you know what I mean - some images kinda make themselves, like I hear some writers say about stories writing themselves, or characters telling their own stories.  

Western audiences will no doubt recognize the classic Universal line cast of characters to the left, but you may not know the Japanese ones.
-Rokurokubi: Long necked, but otherwise normal-looking traditional Japanese woman
-Kitsune: the Japanese word for fox, often seen as magical creatures indicated by growing more than one extra tail.  9 is especially magical.  
-Oni: kind of a general horned demon, usually red or blue
-And my favorite, the Karakasa: an umbrella-monster-thing. A type of Tsukuogami which is an object that has reached its 100th year of existence and developed a spirit.  Also happens with old sandals, apparently.



No comments: